Growing a beard is not the hardest thing in the world. Thus, its hard to find the best beard oil for black men. Maintaining it though is a lot of work. It gets even more complicated as a black man. This is due to the nature of their hair which is coarse and curly.
Several black man beard problems would likely arise in your quest to grow a full beard. Patchy facial hair, ingrown hair, slow-growing hair are just some of the issues you might encounter as a black man. So what can you do about this?
Beard oil is an effective solution to most beard problems. If you have a beard and don’t use beard oils, you’re so wrong. It is equivalent to not having your bath before going to work. If you’re new to beard grooming, the first thing on your purchase list should be a beard oil.
In this article, we would look at everything beard oil and highlight some of the best beard oils for black men. We would also recommend some of the best products to choose from.
What is Beard Oil?
Beard oil is primarily made up of two things – essential oils and carrier oils. It is vital to beard groomers because it provides moisture which the skin only cannot produce enough of.
Beard oil products usually come as a blend of one or more different oils such as Argan oil, Jojoba oil, Coconut oil, Grapeseed oil, amongst others. Each oil is used to address specific beard problems. Some of the issues include patchy beards, sensitive skin, dryness, itchy beard, etc.
If you’re new to beard growth, beard oil for black men should be your best friend, especially in the first month. This would help stimulate your hair follicles for beard growth.
Black Men Beard Care Essentials
A beard is only as good as how well it is maintained. There are several beard products, but these are the most important:
- Beard Oil
- Scissors & trimmers
- Beard Wash
- Combs & Brushes
- Beard Balm
Choosing the Right Beard Oil for Black Men
Before buying a beard oil for black men, there are a few things to consider. There is a vast option of beard oils to choose from but choosing the right one is crucial to a black man. You would want to go for an oil that is of high quality, long-lasting, and undoubtedly promotes beard growth.
Here are the things to look for the next time you purchase a beard oil.
- Carrier oils: They are the main ingredients in beard oils. The oils usually contain vitamin E and fatty acids which are antioxidants. Some carrier oils to look out for include:
- Argan oil contains fatty acid and vitamin E for healthy facial hair follicles.
- Coconut oil contains saturated fat and vitamin E that moisturizes and disinfects for healthy skin.
- Jojoba oil contains iodine, vitamin E, and B complex, silicon, copper, and zinc to replace sebum or natural oils of the skin for a healthy beard.
- Grapeseed oil contains beneficial acids as well as vitamin E and helps in smoothening the skin.
- Apricot Kernel oil
- Moringa oil
- Tea Tree oil
- Cedarwood oil
- Rosemary oil
- Peppermint oil
- Shea butter
- Cost: It is always best to go for beard oils that won’t burn a hole in your pocket. Watch out for the ingredients. The more carrier oils present, the much higher the price could be.
- Scent: This would come down to preference. Some men prefer unscented oils that just does the job. Others prefer scented oils.
Best Beard Oil for Black Men
There are several oils to choose from. Trying to narrow them down to just the very best for black men is no easy task. But we do our jobs with no complaints. These are some of the best beard oils for black men.
If there’s one reason you should get this beard oil, it is because it comes in twice the size of most other beard oil brands. Mountaineer beard oil is all-natural and free of parabens and dyes. Made from basic ingredients of almond oil, grapeseed oil, and castor oil that moisturizes your beard and the skin underneath.
The blend of citrus and spice gives it one of the most wonderful smells of any beard oil.
- Comes in a bigger than usual bottle
- Made from all-natural ingredients
- It is affordable for its size
- Great conditioner
- Doesn’t come with a dropper
- Basic ingredients might not satisfy all men
Honest Amish is a classic brand better known for their beard balms. But they decided to branch into the oil game and boy, was it worth it. When the tag line for your product is “better than an oil” (kind of ironic, isn’t it?), then it must be something.
Packed with expertly selected premium oils (including essential oils), you would expect it to come at a premium price. No! This is one of the most affordable beard oil out there (and it comes in a 2 oz. bottle!). With the number of oils contained in a bottle, you’re sure to get a thick, soft and healthy-looking beard.
- Also comes in a bigger bottle at an affordable price
- Made from all-natural ingredients
- It contains the most carrier oils of any beard oil
- The scent might not be suitable for some men
For men that prefer to have as many natural oils in their beard as possible, this product was made for you. Gentlemen’s was designed to be readily absorbable by the beard in a matter of minutes while you notice a difference in your beard in a few days.
It not only conditions your beard but moisturizes the skin underneath your beard. This is a premium beard oil that helps to stimulate the follicles to grow thicker facial hair.
- It contains a lot of carrier oils to condition and moisturizes your skin and beard
- Fast absorption
- Some users are allergic to it
- It could be a little too oily
- It is expensive
Just from the name, it’s clear that this beard oil would tame the most unruly of beards. Viking is a product made with 100% natural ingredients. It contains only Argan and Jojoba oil which is really the core oils your beard needs for growth.
This perfect blend of oils works to get rid of beardruff and itchiness while also leaving your beard softer and healthier. What’s best? It is one of the most affordable oils in the market.
- All-natural ingredients
- Great for black men with sensitive skin
- It is affordable
- Great moisturizing and conditioning effect
- Its thin consistency might not be suitable for thicker beards
- Too greasy for some users
This product only has three ingredients – Argan oil, Jojoba oil, and Vitamin E. The perfect mix of these ingredients leaves your beard better than it met it.
It also serves as a leave-in conditioner with zero side effects. This means you do not need to wash it off at the end of the day. Arts Naturals is one of the best beard oil for men dealing with patchy beards. This makes it’s a good starter oil for beginners. The best thing is that it is one of the most affordable beard oils in the market as its 2 oz. bottle sells for the price of one.
- Made from an all-natural ingredient
- Suitable for men new to beard care
- It has a thin consistency
- It doesn’t have a long hold on hair
Application of Beard Oil
Just in case you’re unsure on how to apply beard oil to your beard, here are simple steps to follow:
- Ideally, you should apply it after showering
- Dry your beard after showering but leave it damp
- Use the dropper to put two or three drops of the oil on your palms and rub together
- Run your palms through your beard and massage the skin below
- Comb through your beard.
You can do no wrong choosing any of the five beard oils reviewed. They would give you everything you look for in a beard oil – thick, soft, and healthy beard. If we were to choose the best of the bunch, Honest Amish Beard Oil checks all boxes. It gives you everything you want in beard oil and more. Plus it comes in a 2 oz. bottle for the price of one. It truly is more than a beard oil.
Black men have to deal with the fact that their beard journey would be more complicated than other men. But it’s OK. You have a friend in beard oils that would simplify your journey. Whatever beard oil you go for, avoid comedogenic oils as they increase the likelihood of getting ingrown hairs.
If you’re new to the beard game, the time to get a beard oil is NOW!!! It would be the best beard decision you made.
Beard oils would deal with most black man beard problems and would set you on your way to beard-dom.
Thanks for reading guys! We appreciate your thoughts in the comments section and love to hear from you. Stay beardy!